• Why I'm doing Movember, and why you should be doing it too!

    "During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces in the UK and around the world. The aim of which is to raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men."

    In the immortal words of Paxman "as a starter for ten", you now understand what Movember is. Basically a bunch of blokes, who, for charity, and public humiliation, partake in the growing of a mustache! 

    The thing is, last year I undertook such a challenge, and I say challenge, not charity movement with a heavy heart. As I described in a company blog

    "I’m Italian, better yet I’m Neapolitan. And the thing with Neapolitans is, you have facial hair. No matter what age you are, you just have it. Simple as that. You also happen to be relatively short, olive skinned, own a moped and have more girlfriends than hot dinners.

    I’m 6’3”, pale white, don’t get anywhere near mopeds because they scare the life out of me, and the girlfriends thing is a messy, touchy subject. Oh, and I don’t grow facial hair – easily."


    Well the mopeds thing has changed, hence the title of this blog, the girlfriends thing remains the painful subject of ridicule by family across the globe, and the facial hair thing...I'll let you decide! 

    The purpose of this blog today though is...Men, if you haven't done Movember before, haven't even considered it, then you SHOULD do it. It's a cause close to my heart, and if you're a real man, it should be close to yours. It's a twat of a disease that CAN be cured and the research teams basically need our help with financing them. This isn't a call to the whole "big society" crap we hear so much about, this is a call to all men to stop and consider....

    "You'll look a real prat for 30 days, but you can help save the lives of others for years to come". 

    Last year I wanted to look like Magnum PI, but I looked more like Higgins at the end. 

    I don't care, I am going to be at trade shows with this caterpillar on my face, and I'll even have a charity jar in tow if people want to donate.

    I have thought of doing a run every day in the month of November to help booster the takings, lets say 10km a day - that's just over 6 miles - and with my recent spate of injuries that would be a miracle to begin with. Either way, you should do it. Help save lives, take the mocking on the chin and feel good about yourself come December 1st when it comes off! 



    0 comments → Why I'm doing Movember, and why you should be doing it too!

    Post a Comment