• I should have just bought mittens....

    Gloves, mittens, great for keeping the hands warm, especially during winter. Extremely pointless in summer. Now I have defined what was common knowledge to every Tom Dick and Harry in the northern and southern hemisphere, here's to my story.  (Which actually also leaves another question unanswered, why aren't there more models with gloves on?)

    You see, I'm 29. And for those of you who have never met me (and some who have but just never noticed) I have a slight hand condition. I rarely talk about it and if people ask I like to humor myself and hopefully them, with how I acquired it through a war injury of sorts...

    Basically its two fingers conjoined and slightly crooked. It's never stopped me from doing anything adventurous with hands, and perhaps I was never meant to be a hand pupeteer extraordinaire so I wouldn't say I have been limited. I have never classed it as a disability, it really isn't, and to be honest I've never been too touchy about it. Amongst close friends there are a few jokes but not at my expense and in good taste, nothing ever detrimental.

    But today, in a H&M store I was looking for some gloves. After 29 years you'd think that I would have just sought the mittens. Instead I proceeded to try on different gloves and tucking away the finger that I wouldn't be using (just imagine this part, or stick on a glove and omit a finger), when a sales staff member came to see if I needed help. (I must have been making a "god what does this look like?" face)

    H&M model clearly not modelling any hand clothing...
    At this point I should have just asked for mittens, instead I proceeded to take off my gloves and noticed that the teenage sales assistant didn't quite know where to look, respond or behave. I tried to turn away so as to not make eye contact, but instead she turned and walked off to her boss. When putting the gloves down I heard this sales assistant describe the hand as a "crooked mess".

    That's the beauty of mittens, no one could ever see the "car crash" that is my hand. And if this staff member thinks this is bad god help them if they ever actually had to help somebody with real disabilities. So I'm boycotting H&M, the majority of the stuff is shite anyway - for blokes, not sure about women clothes. I'm not going to ask you to join me, but just to keep me in mind if you ever see cool mittens anywhere else - let me know where they are.

    Thanks
    G



    0 comments → I should have just bought mittens....

    Post a Comment